Here’s a recipe that is close to my favorite with a spiciness of 3 and sweetness of 3:
It is a slight variation of the Chili Hot Chocolate recipe here using less sugar I think.
- 1 cup milk, 2% fat
- 45 grams 99% Cacao Scharffenberger Chocolate
- 20 grams or 1/16 cup confectioners sugar (white granulated, not powdered)
- 1/4 teaspoon and 1/16 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
I originally planned to use as much as 3/16 cup of sugar but i kept adding and mixing until the sweetness was right and I had only used about 1/16 cup.
- Heat milk gently, at no point going higher than 140 degrees fahrenheit.
- Add chocolate. wait until partly melted and then periodically mix for 1 second with a hand blender.
- Add cinnamon and chili powder and mix.
- Add sugar to taste.
- Serve at 130.
The use of hand blender has side effect of frothing the milk which makes it have a richer taste, similar to steaming of the milk.
I was somewhat surprised at the amount of chocolate required to flavor 1 cup of milk. 1.6 ounces (45g) of chocolate looks like a lot, but I suppose that is why the flavor is so rich.